GLEBE HOUSE OF SOUTHWARK PARISH Nearby Stands The Glebe House Of The Formerly An ...
Stockphoto ID: 3568876
File name: 200_0022.JPG
Format: digital, 5000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: United States
Description: GLEBE HOUSE OF SOUTHWARK PARISH Nearby stands the glebe house of the formerly Anglican Southwark Parish that was built soon after 1724 . A glebe was a parcel of land owned by a colonial church and farmed to pay the ministers expenses . This glebe house was used as a parish rectory and is one in a rare surviving group in Virginia . The first to live here was the Reverend John Cargill , a leading colonial cleric . The disestablishment of the Anglican church resulted in the propertys sale into private ownership in 1802 . Exterior chimneys were added and the gable roof was rebuilt as a gambrel . The property was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1975 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 . Department of Historic Resources , 2001
This image is copyright protected. There is a fee for any use. This website is not a source of free images.