SANDY POINT & CHERRY HALL Originally Home To The Paspahegh Indians , Sandy Point ...
Stockphoto ID: 3560446
File name: 164_6423.JPG
Format: digital, 5000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: United States
Description: SANDY POINT & CHERRY HALL Originally home to the Paspahegh Indians , Sandy Point was settled in 1617 as Smiths Hundred and after 1619 known as Southampton Hundred . St . Marys Church was established here prior to the Powhatan Uprising of 1622 . During the Revolutionary War local militia units were encamped on the James River . Prominent area homes have included Tettington and Tomahund , seats of the Lightfoot family , Byrdwood and The Rowe . Landmarks have included the Trees Point and Old Field and schools at Banbury Farm ( est . 1878 ) and Renwood ( est . 1910 ) . A ferry crossed the James from Sandy Point until 1942 , and nearby Barretts Ferry crossed the Chickahominy River until 1939 . A store at Sandy Point wharf stood until ca . 1955 . Inland from the James River during the 1800s , the cross roads community that developed near Cherry Hall Plantation included Graves Shop and Rural Shades Academy . Nearby stood the first Lower Church of Westover Parish ( ca . 1735 1805 ) and Jersualem Church ( est . 1877 ) . The store of W . T . Haynes served this community until ca . 1930 . Charles City County , Virginia .
This image is copyright protected. There is a fee for any use. This website is not a source of free images.