COLUMBIA BAPTIST CHURCH In 1859 , The Church Trustees Bought This 1 / 2 Acre ( P ...
Stockphoto ID: 3560372
File name: 162_6289.JPG
Format: digital, 5000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: United States
Description: COLUMBIA BAPTIST CHURCH In 1859 , the church trustees bought this 1 / 2 acre ( part of 1729 248 acre Trammell Grant ) for $100 . The 2 story clapboard over timber church served as a Union hospital and appears in Matthew Brady photos . Pastor John Read was shot by Mosby troops as Union spy . When congregation became inactive , church was site of 1875 first town council meeting and first public school , Jefferson Institute , 1875 to 1882 . Church was reorganized in 1880 and relocated in 1909 to West Columbia St . Church here was demolished and replaced by Episcopalian Parish Hall in 1920 . City of Falls Church .