MEEMS BOTTOM COVERED BRIDGE Built In 1892 By Franklin Hiser Wissler To Provide A ...
Stockphoto ID: 3558936
File name: 145_4536.JPG
Format: digital, 5000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: United States
Description: MEEMS BOTTOM COVERED BRIDGE Built in 1892 by Franklin Hiser Wissler to provide access to his apple orchards at Strathmore Farms , this is the longest remaining covered bridge in Virginia . A 200 foot single span , located one half mile northwest , the bridge is a Burr Truss design , a combination of arch with vertical and diagonal supports . ALl constuction materials were obtained locally . Damaged by arsonists in 1976 , the bridge was restored and reopened in 1979 . Department of Historic Resources , 1989