TRINITY CHURCH Known Originally As Augusta Parish Church , It Was Founded In 174 ...
Stockphoto ID: 3558912
File name: 145_4510.JPG
Format: digital, 5000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: United States
Description: TRINITY CHURCH Known originally as Augusta Parish Church , it was founded in 1746 as the county parish . The Virginia General Assembly met here in June 1781 to avoid capture by British raiders . The present church was erected in 1855 and was used by the Virginia Theological Seminary during the war between the states . The first bishop of Virginia , James Madison , was a member of this church . Virginia State Library