WHITEHOUSE Whitehouse Road Marks The South Boundary Of Land Settled About 1842 B ...
Stockphoto ID: 3556422
File name: 20070311 - Historical Markers -jw275.JPG
Format: digital, 5000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: United States
Description: WHITEHOUSE Whitehouse Road marks the south boundary of land settled about 1842 by James Gibbons under the Armed Occupation Act . The first Fort Dade Post Office was established there in 1845 . In that year , Gibbons widow , Mary , wed William Kendrick , Captain of the Fort Dade Militia . Their whitewashed , two story split board home and trading post was the beginning of Dade City . At the end of the Seminole Wars , Sampson , a free Negro serving the Army as Indian Interpreter , fell in love with Rose , a Whitehouse slave , purchased her from Captain Kendrick , and married her . The location of the plantation cemetery is no longer known . Erected by the Pasco Board of County Commissioners and The Historical Preservation Committee , 1982
This image is copyright protected. There is a fee for any use. This website is not a source of free images.