GOODSPRINGS MINING DISTRICT 1856 1957 Ore Deposits Readily Recognized In The Fau ...
Stockphoto ID: 3553555
File name: 20121227 - California Nevada (Travel)-B126884.JPG
Format: digital, 5000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: United States
Description: GOODSPRINGS MINING DISTRICT 1856 1957 Ore deposits readily recognized in the faulted and folded limestone deposits of this district remained unworked until 1856 , when the Mormons developed a single lead mine at PotosiÑprobably the oldest lode mine in Nevada . Named for cattleman Joseph Good , the open springs area was developed into the mining ranching community of Goodsprings by A . G . Campbell . With completion of the Los Angeles Salt Lake Railroad in 1905 and the narrow gauge Yellow Pine Railroad from Jean to Goodsprings in 1911 , transportation costs of the oxidized zinc minerals were reduced . The peak year of operations was reached in 1916 , and Goodsprings then had 800 residents . This district , with the greatest variety of valuable minerals in Nevada , produced a total of $25 million primarily in lead and zinc , with lesser amounts of gold , silver , copper , molybdenum , vanadium , nickel , cobalt , platinum , palladium and uranium . State Historical Marker No . 102 State Park System Southern Nevada Historical Society