Couples Retreat Garden Is Recognized With Other Classical Suzhou Gardens As A UN ...
Stockphoto ID: 3378327
File name: couples-retreat-garden-5.jpg
Format: digital, 5000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: Thailand
Description: Couples Retreat Garden is recognized with other classical Suzhou gardens as a UNESCO World Heritage Site . The original garden was built by Lu Jin , prefect of Baoning district , in 1874 . It was purchased by Shen Bingcheng , the magistrate of Susong . who rebuilt it in its current form . He also changed the name to the Couples Garden Retreat . This name refers to the gardens two parts and alludes to a couple : a cowboy and weaver girl . The garden is divided into an east and west section by the residential core in the middle ; an unusual composition for a classical garden . The eccentric design is continued in the form and details of many of the garden buildings especially the Taosim Tower . The West garden is composed of several structures grouped around a small grotto and a Library annex . It is structurally joined to the central residence . East Garden is the main garden of the complex . It consists of a grotto and pond ringed by a covered walkway that connects the structures .