The Only Structure Remaining From The Battle Of Chickamauga , The Mansion Was Bu ...
Stockphoto ID: 2435173
File name: GORDON-LEE_MANSION_CHICKAMAUGA-17.jpg
Format: digital, 4000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: United States
Description: the only structure remaining from the battle of chickamauga , the mansion was built by james gordon , an early settler . the house stands near the site an old cherokee courthouse . after the removal of the cherokee during the " trail of tears " , that building served as a local seat of government . james gordon purchased significant holdings in the area and moved there from gwinnett county . he built a mill along chickamauga creek in 1836 . with the success of his milling operation gordon wanted to build an estate but was beleaguered by economic and labor problems . the completion of the western and atlantic railroad to a point nearer the homemade it easier to get needed material and he completed the house in 1847 . gen . wm . rosecrans and future president james a . garfield , his chief of staff , spent 3 days here just before the battle . during this time he was " blind " because his men , including his cavalry , were spread out across 50 miles of enemy territory
This image is copyright protected. There is a fee for any use. This website is not a source of free images.