The Doulton Fountain Was Gifted To The City By Sir Henry Doulton , And First Unv ...
Stockphoto ID: 2357976
File name: Amp_1770_copy.jpg
Format: digital, 5000+ pixels longest side
Property release: no Model release: no
Source: photographer Based in: United Kingdom
Description: The Doulton Fountain was gifted to the city by Sir Henry Doulton , and first unveiled at the Empire Exhibition held at Kelvingrove Park in 1888 . The fountain was then moved to Glasgow Green in 1890 . A sculptural extravaganza , the fountain was designed to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee of 1887 , and celebrate Britain’s Imperial achievements the fountain is crowded with figurative groups representing Australia , Canada , India and South Africa . The largest terracotta fountain in the world and the best surviving example of its kind , it has five tiers , is 46 feet high and 70 feet across the base . Following a £4 million refurbishment and relocation programme the fountain has been restored to its former glory and now sits at the front of The Peoples Palace .